Friday, January 7, 2011

New Experience for the New Year

Remember the time I told you I fell while jogging? Well the wound is healing. Yes it is. Just that with my itchy hands, I can't seem to take my hands of it, hence this happens...

Day 2 post trauma

Currently

Notice how the wound is gonna turn out to be a hyperpigmented scar? Or to put it into lay man term, scar that has higher pigmentation (darker) than the surrounding skin. Ahhh! How I regret having to 'kopek' my scar now. But then it was so itchy! I just couldn't resist. Hopefully the bio oil I bought today will help lessen the scar mark, or just making it less obvious. Also for my legs. As I'm a known case of mosquito attractor, mosquitoes here had not have mercy on me! The scars over the leg. Ugh! Not so obvious but some how so obvious to me! *note the vanity* Nak kaki cantik saje la.. :(

My lips 2nd day post trauma

Glad to inform you that there's no scar what-so-ever over my lips! Weee~ Now the ulcer inside is healing perfectly fine, no pain or any symptoms. I can even finish my tomyam! *laughs* I've been craving for spicy food since last week. I don't know why. And being here in Sabah, somehow Sabahan's toleration towards spicy food is really low. I've even one friend who mentioned that sweet and sour chicken is spicy! I'm like OMG! Because there were some cut chilies, and mind you these are the huge chilies. So it was so hard for me to find tomyam. And when I found, eventhough in comparison to Peninsular this loses hands down, I'm so glad I had tomyam. Now off to my next spicy adventure. Can't wait!

So what else have I been doing since the start of 2011. I'm proud to inform you that I've finally done some good to the society! What you may ask. Since last time I've always wanted to do this. But there were always certain obstacles. Whether it was low blood pressure or low hemoglobin (forget about being underweight as the cut off value for female is 45kg!), something always came in the way. And there was also the hesitancy and fear. Mummy always said no to me when I mentioned I want to donate blood. But then this time, the blood bank was really lacking in blood supply, so hopefully with my 1 pint of blood, it can help save a life in the future. :)

Blood was flowing so fast

Seeing these blood donating photos I can't help but go 'gosh! my face is like so round and oily!'. Sorry for that. Must be the angle (denial still). But how good I felt after donating it. It's like you've contributed something to the society. Haven't donated blood yet? Well before that there are some criteria to adhere to:
1. You're healthy on the day of donation
2. you're aged between 18-60 years old
3. body weight is over 45kg for female and 65kg for male
4. Slept more than 5 hours the day before
5. Do not have any medical illnesses
6. Not on medications (antibiotics for example)
7. Ate before donation
8. Not involved in homosexual, bisexual, having multiple sex partners/with hookers, or on recreational drugs.
9. Last donation was more than 3 months ago.

Few myths regarding blood donation. Blood donation cause weight gain. So untrue! Most people think that will happen and not donate blood. The thing is, what I think la, once people have donated blood, they'll think that they've loss a lot from their body and try to gain it back through diet. Thence the weight gain. normal human have 5 litres of blood flown around the body. Having have 450ml of your blood taken out is just small amount! And bear in mind that our blood cells do reproduce once it is insufficient. For red blood cells, their life cycle is typically 120 days. So why waste your blood when you can do good?

Up close (so bulat la muka!)

So what is the process. Well it doesn't take more than an hour! I finished donating in 30 minute! This includes the earlier filling up of forms, having your haemoglobin count checked, blood group checked, blood pressure and pulse rate checked. Then you'll be brought to a bed, once you lie down, you'll be given a holder for you to grasp and a cuff around your arms to apply pressure. Then an injection will be given (heparin usually used) to prevent clotting of blood. the needle is then withdrawn before having a large needle inserted to that same vein. Although the needle is like so huge, it wasn't painful at all. At least for me. :)

In less than 30 minutes, I'm done! It's that fast! Well I have to admit having been pricked with the injection was painful (like ants biting), but other than that it was all alrite! I was asked to rest a while more just to make sure that I do not develop any headache or palpitation, or worse still, fainting. I did develop slight dizziness after donating. My bad for not having a meal before donation. But other that that all was well. The funny part of it was, I was given like one crate of eggs for the donation. Yes you heard me. One crate! So egg sandwiches for everyone!

So why not spare some of your time, donate your blood. It does save lives. And the fun part is, your whole blood can be further divided into platelets, plasmas to be donated too. So not only 1 life you save, but so many more! You'll feel a sense of achievement after having done all that. So donate today, you can save a life! Till the next post!
-KaRLeeN-

1 comment:

Shahrul Izzam said...

1. You won't have scars.
2. Exercise exercise exercise.
3. I don't donate blood coz I'm scared of the needle.
4. Exercise exercise exercise.
5. Proud of you.

:)