Sunday, January 8, 2012

When Small Gestures Matters Most

2012 baby! Been a very busy beginning of 2012, with exams during the first week of 2012 itself (thank you so much to my school for making my life even more miserable). Didn't even get a chance to countdown, just spending a quiet night having dinner with the loved one. After dinner it was back to the books. But hey, hard work paid off, I'm finally having a well-deserved 1 week break before my next posting followed by CNY when I can 'tong tong chiang' back home! (It has been 6 months since I last went back already?) In my mind, I'm actually having a long 3 weeks break up until CNY is over. Lol.

The small steamboat I had on New Year's Eve. Tom Yum soup base.

Wanted to write a post to commemorate year 2011 as yet another awesome and forgettable year. I learnt so much, grown (hopefully) so much and just loved so much. I wouldn't say it was all smooth sailing from the start till the end, I remember being high on top and just sulking right at the bottom. Nonetheless, it was a great year for me, with loads of memories to be cherished and to be held with me for the rest of my life. To all those I have hurt intentionally or unintentionally, I've just got to say I'm sorry. The small girl is still finding her way in this world, blur as ever (now I know why my family kept saying I MCC). However, I have this other matter on my mind now that I just wanted to discuss it here.

You know at times, how the small little gestures you make have a big impact on the people around you? Or make it this way, how other people's gestures (no matter how big or small it is), can pull you down or lift up your day? Exhibit A, you're carrying like the heaviest bag of stuff imaginable and one good Samaritan (be it your friend, your acquaintance  or a perfect stranger) comes and offer his help, how grateful you'll be for him right? It is just one small act of kindness, and there you are, looking at him like he's made of all things nice in this world.

At times we kinda forget how our small acts can have such an influence on people around us. I remember me washing up my roommates bed sheet while awaiting her arrival back from Kudat, she was so grateful for it. The same goes for me, she was so kind to wash up my bed sheet for me while waiting for me to come home. Forget about washing, the thought that she kept the room spic and span was enough to make me happy. I was grateful to have such an understanding roommate and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

My caring roomie, Michelle. I miss hanging out with her!

Now the story of course does not end with just friendship. Now how about relationships? We've all read love stories or at the very least watched a chic flick. So where does the gentleman line ends? I for one have not really experienced being pampered out on an all-day-out dating filled with romance etc etc. Not complaining though. I'm more curious about the daily day-to-day life events. You've read on Facebook at the about how when the guy likes to hug his girlfriend, he's being called a perve and how when he doesn't, the girl says he does not love her. So where do you draw the line?

I think this situation works on footing the bill too. I'm not expecting to be spent on, as in all of my expenses to be footed out by him. According to Mad whom we had an awesome girl talk along with her boyfriend to exchange ideas, she said guys looses 2 things in a relationship, no 1 freedom (I think this was it), and no 2 cash. I for one disagree with forcing the other half to foot everything, but once in awhile, having to have him treat you an ice-cream or even to a movie with popcorn included would be a nice gesture. Is that too much to ask?

Lastly, this situation applies to family as well. Well for mine at the least. You'd love to feel appreciated for helping around the house. However, at times, what you're doing seem to be like a responsibility instead of an act of kindness. I remembered started to help out at home right after my sister left for university. Initially I was just helping out with just handwashing all the laundry. Soon enough, I was deemed to be responsible for all dirty laundry, the household cleanliness, the plate washing as well as the ironing. I would even get scolding for not finishing them on schedule. It went on to me painting the whole front gate myself, under the scorching hot sun! It was a responsibility. I remembered thinking to myself, it's not that I want you to pay me or nothing, a word of 'thank you' would have been much appreciated.

I sound like I'm complaining now. It's just that given the circumstances, I'm caught at a crossroads. Where do you exactly cross the line for being treated well without being thought of taking advantage of the other party? For me, I would treat others like how I would like to be treated. However humans are just too different from one another. So how now? I'm still confused after this post. Shall sleep on it then. Till the next post!

-KaRLeeN-

No comments: