Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hardships of Being a Woman

You know all the Hu-ha about what men and women are equal that sorta thing? No no, this is not a post to glorify women. Don't get me wrong. But just some recent health issues that I would like to share with you guys. No no, nothing big and serious, just basic what every girl have to go through monthly, MENSES!

You see, I've never had problems with my 'aunty visits' a.k.a menses prior to university life, or more like till last year. I was perfectly fine, with occasional painful cramps here and there, nothing too serious that will affect my daily activities. However, recently, the condition has take a turn for the worst. Why I would describe it that way you may ask? From no pain till now being Mefenamic Acid dependent and at times even medications do no good, how can I say I am alrite, right?

You would think being a medical student I will be able to solve all of these. Come to think of it, a lot of medical students themselves suffer from this problem. Some have even worst condition (no names will be mentioned in this entry). A friend of mine, even jokingly suggested, go for a TAHBSO, problem solved! (TAHBSO = total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salphingo-oophorectomy). I was like say WHAT??! Although I am not keen with the idea of pregnancy, and all the trauma of labor, I will still say I want to have a child of my own some day (or at least have the option of wanting a child). I am thinking way too far now.

These few months, anticipating the date when my menses will come is really terrifying. It's like your waiting for the day where you'll be in pain, totally tired and just wanting to rest. It gets even worst when I start vomiting or having abnormal bowel movements! Too much information. But this is really what I have been going through these past few months. I even had to cancel dates (sorry sayang) due to the unforeseen circumstances. *sigh*

So, as I continue on my monthly battle with my 'aunty', I just hope that the condition gets better. Any suggestion from anyone is much appreciated. I've tried warm compressions, hot tea, getting active in sports etc. Now fingers crossed and hope for the better. 

On a different matter, I am heading home tomorrow for Chinese New Year! OMG this year will be like, MY YEAR, the year of the dragon. I'll be like 24! So cheers to the coming new year and I'm coming home! Coming home. Tell the world I'm coming home! Till the next post!

-KaRLeeN-

2 comments:

eunice said...

go for an ultrasound to rule out endometriosis?

Karleen Chong said...

did the ultrasound last year by dr win win where they had the research on dysmenorrhea among us medical students.. acc to her, it was jz primary dysmenorrhea.. nothing serious..